Saturday, January 27, 2018

Birth Story


So here it is almost 7 weeks 4 months (to the day) since I gave birth to my 3rd son. The name of this blog definitely fits... Our Little Piece of Chaos

See I started this in November when things were really crazy. People tell you that you to "sleep when baby sleeps" and "things will fall into place" but what they don't acknowledge is "HOW" and especially when you have older kids how to balance your new life.

My pregnancy was pretty normal. I stayed in shape even went to ReFit even 2 days before his birth. I was extremely nauseous up to the day. Week 37 my husband and boys were in the car waiting for me because I thought I would be "checked"...I had rushed in, ran up the stairs and taken back right away. Needless to say my blood pressure was elevated. At the end of my 5 minute appointment I was sent to have blood-work and check into triage. I didn't think much about it but did call my guys to come in just in case we needed to make some decisions.

 

I was hooked up to monitors for 2 hours so we could be monitored. They ended up "checking" me there. I was actually further along than I expected, 1 and 50%, but not far enough to be comfortable with them inducing me. I had family and friends on standby just in case but after watching my blood pressure come down to completely normal my doctor convinced the triage staff to let me go another week. We were very relieved since we didn't have bags packed or the car seat installed...yep I was a little frantic at that moment but those things were taken care of that night. We also ended up buying a blood pressure cuff.

For the next week we I was a little on edge hoping and praying he would make his entrance on his own. I had dear friends throwing a baby shower on that Saturday, I thought for sure I would go into labor right before...but I didn't. It was a wonderful shower and I was able to relax a bit and celebrate my little guy.



Monday I went to Refit hoping to dance myself into labor there...still nothing. Tuesday I went in expecting to be told my blood pressure was elevated again, I had been stressing about the appointment, but it was perfect. They didn't want to take a chance and I was at 3 and 75% so they told me Tomorrow was the day! I had never been induced with my other 2 so I was a bit nervous. I had told my husband if they sent me home I was going to go get a mani/pedi so that is what I did. Then we waited for my parents to arrive.


Early Wednesday morning we were off to the hospital. It was so weird walking in without my water already being broke. They started me on pitocin around 8:40am. Let me preface this with saying that I am a little unusual as I don't feel contractions. Due to this and according to the monitors I was having some pretty strong ones they went ahead and broke my water at 11:30am so they could insert an internal monitor to better regulate the pitocin. Around 1:30pm I ended up getting an epidural to help my body relax. It is hard to explain because it isn't pain but I can just feel myself getting tense like how one gets when anxious. After I had that I settled in for a nap. The nurse came in to check if I was feeling the need to push around 3:40pm and told me I was having consistent strong contractions but I didn't feel like it was time.

I went back to sleep only to be awoken about 3:50pm by the fire alarms! My husband reassured me that everything was ok and it happens all the time. BUT it wasn't ok, in fact it was time and the doctors couldn't get in their fast enough. I told the nurse in training that I was having to hold back from pushing. Glad the doctors finally made it to the room...One push and I was holding my beautiful baby boy! 3:58pm, 7lbs 8ozs 20inches My smallest by 1.5lbs


He hated the world...including me at first but after a couple hours he finally calmed down and was ok with me. I held (kangaroo style) my older boys right after they were born and tried to feed my 2nd right away, this one had no desire for quite awhile. Much has changed in 10 years, before I had to request to hold and feed right away, now it is what they do. On top of that they informed me they don't give baths for at least 6 hours after birth and everything was done in the room so I got to watch. He never left my sight, except when we had a scare in the middle of the night and for his circumcision.


I was STARVING! As soon as the doctors left the nurses were calling to get me dinner but allowed me to stuff my face with cookies, juice and water. Dinner the night before had been my last meal and I wasn't allowed to drink water since arriving at he hospital.

My older 2 met Caegan around 6pm and announced his name to my parents... They had been holding in that secret for a month.



Unfortunately my mom couldn't find a sub for her so they had to go back home that evening which meant we were left scrambling trying to figure out what to do with the boys for the night. Our hospital is wonderful because they let them stay with us. I know many would want the time away but I welcomed having them there. I slept with my 2nd in bed with me while my husband shared the couch with our oldest.


Best part is that they also were able to watch his first bath...which of course he hated.



It was actually very good my husband and the boys stayed because in the middle of the night Caegan started choking. I was sound asleep and didn't hear it but daddy did and was able to get help right away. He didn't have a chance to expel the amniotic fluid in his lungs...which for the next few days we slept very lightly.


The next day went by pretty fast with routine checks, pictures, getting in all our required videos/paperwork. The boys watched the videos with us over SIDS and Shaken Baby, I was surprised by how well they listened. My middle boy was worried about us putting a sheet in the crib or swaddling his baby brother. He did not trust leaving his side the first few days at home.


We were on our way home at 4pm! Just 24 hours after becoming a family of 5 we were on our own...

No comments:

Post a Comment