Saturday, January 2, 2016

Encourage

Happy New Year! I hope you all have had a great start. This is the time of year for your resolutions, change of mindset, your reset to begin anew.

I haven't made resolutions in a long time but yet always use the new year as my starting point as I near the end of the year, although if I make a goal I usually always use either the first day of the week or month to begin so the first of the year falls right in line.

Of course the most popular resolution is to "lose weight" and while I do want to do that it has kind of drifted to the back of the pack. Instead I want to get Healthy. Healthy physically, mentally, and spiritually. It really starts with the spiritual which helps set your mind right and in the end your body will follow.

While there are a few other resolutions or goals we want to meet...pay off debt, finish the house to sell, more family time. There was a new trend people have started talking about and it is your word or your mantra for the year.  I have heard ones from motivate, renew, grow, and discipline. I drifted off to sleep last night thinking about these when it hit me what I really want to use as my word this year...

Encourage! I want to be an encourager for others and myself. I have tried to be one that is positive but noticed lately I have let negativity come into my life. I nag at my husband and children, I have found myself lacking at being hospitable, or caring to the sick outside of our family.

It all starts with the Word and changing my attitude to become positive. Intentions have always been there to be a better person. Even Paul had times where he intended to go encourage others but was held back. Doesn't mean that he was a bad person but even if not in person he encouraged through letters.

Romans 1:11-13English Standard Version (ESV)11 For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you— 12 that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine. 13 I do not want you to be unaware, brothers,[a] that I have often intended to come to you (but thus far have been prevented), in order that I may reap some harvest among you as well as among the rest of the Gentiles.
We had a birthday party for my boys last night and they were showered with gifts but it wasn't the gifts they were interested in...it was having their friends surround them. The kids took turns, put others first, and the positive energy was apparent as I went to check on them every now and then.

This morning after I decided to become more of an encourager I sat down with them to go through their gifts and write thank you notes. Then they each took a card to decorate it. By the 3rd round (6th card) rolled around I could tell they were needing a break because they weren't spending as much time being creative as they had on the first 2 cards. Normally I would have made them keep working at it just to get it done. Today I decided to give them a break, ok so their work area is covered in glue and paper...and maybe some icing...but in order for them to be an encouragement to others I have to give them space to help give them that encouragement to keep at it...later.

They are not being hateful or negative they just can't give their best and that is what I need to understand too. Sometimes I have to take a break so I don't become the nag or yelling mother or doing something because I "HAVE" to. This is about the right attitude to keep everyone moving in a positive loving encouraging direction.

We had a ton of leftovers from the party so I am taking dinner to a sick family, thank you notes will be finished later, and my husband is taking a test for school all in all it has been a good start to this improved mindset.
Please take the time and think of one way to encourage someone around you this week.

1 Thessalonians 5:11

No comments:

Post a Comment